Spam filters are now good enough that they suck away the evil crap without me noticing. It’s been a long time since I cared enough to look to see what it was filtering out. On a whim, I did so today and noticed that subject lines have graduated from spelling out the names of erection medicine in fifty million different ways to using provocative “headlines”, which look like over the top news/gossip events. The idea being, I suppose, that if the headline is compelling enough, you take the time to read (or, at least, render) the spam.
I still haven’t read any of the actual mails, but some of these headlines are hilarious. I’m guessing they have some sort of random context-free grammar thing generating them. Sort of like they fight crime, but more obsessed with media whores. Some examples of what I got today:
- Britney Spears Ditches Music Career, Enters Car Racing
- Britney Spears Admits “My Vagina Made Me Shave My Head Bald”
- Angelina Jolie’s Lips Explode
- Britney Spears’ New Hair Extensions Are Lindsay Lohan’s Pubes (that one’s for you, Rob)
- Britney Spears Shoots Down American Spy Satellite With Her Vagina
- Britney Spears Not Bipolar - New World Order Conspiracy Afoot
- Britney Spears: “Yes, I tried to suck the shine off a bumper”
- Paris Hilton denies screwing Ron Paul
- Britney heartbroken as Diana’s Butler beds Winehouse
- Paris Hilton To Poses For Playboy, followed immediately by another mail claiming Paris Hilton Becomes Nun. Your call on which would be more shocking.
- Paris Hilton’s Vagina Bites Penguin
The Weekly World News wishes they could make these headlines. I can almost see the “photo” they would use for that last one.